Code Enforcement Officer
(732) 244-7400 ext. 1237
(732) 244-7400 ext. 1238
The primary concern of the Code Enforcement Office is maintaining a safe and clean environment in Berkeley Township.
The Code Enforcement Office would like to remind residents about a few things that are helpful in maintaining a safe and clean environment in Berkeley Township:
- It is required that all homes and businesses have their street numbers displayed in a manner that will aid emergency personnel in the event of an emergency situation.
- Remember to annually check the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- A reminder that garbage, recyclables and bulk items should not be placed outside for pick-up until 4:00 pm the day prior to the scheduled pick-up date. Also, Ordinance 35-89:23, membrane structures (portable structures) cannot be left on the property any longer than 72 hours and cannot be used for habitation or storage.
A Certificate of Occupancy (CO) is required when anyone is selling or renting a home. Applications are available below or can be picked up at the Code Enforcement Office Monday thru Friday, 8:30 am to 4:00 pm. Please feel free to contact our office with any questions, complaints, concerns or comments at (732) 244-7400 ext. 238.
Also, a reminder to residents that all complaints brought to the attention of the Code Enforcement Office will remain anonymous.
Any time you rent or sell your home in Berkeley Township, you must apply for a Certificate of Occupancy. For rental property owners, this applies every time the tenant changes.
Any property owner renting a home in Berkeley Township must be registered as a landlord, as per New Jersey State Statue. You can register as a landlord with the Berkeley Township Clerk's Office. The form is available below or can be picked up in the Clerk's Office.
- Landlord Registration Form
- Application for a CO for Rentals and Resales
- Housing Inspection Requirements
Please keep in mind that for age-restricted communities in Berkeley Township, a certification of age from that Homeowner's Association is also required for both resale and rentals.
Berkeley Township has a property maintenance code, which can be found in Chapter 12 of the Municipal Code Book:
Municipal Code Book